Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Circumcision of Mick

Once upon a time, Calia had a pacifier that we fondly referred to as Mr. Binks. As time went on and Calia grew up, she called him Mick. Now, I'm not sure if that is his first name (Mr. Mick Binks) or if she is calling it McBink (like McDreamy). Anyway, before Calia left Toddle Inn, they told me she had been napping for weeks without Mick. I wish they had told me sooner because she was still asking for it at home naps and bedtime. I was a bit upset because a window of opportunity had passed. So, on Independece Day, we started our own families Independence from the Mick, or as it has now been called the Circumcision of the Mick.

Since we moved into the new house, we have only given the Mick at bed/naptime and will not let Calia out of her bed until she gives it to us. After reading up on ways to get a pacifier dependent child to give up their beloved companion, we decided that we would cut the top of the plastic off. Theory is this will make the pacifier suck differently and the child will not want it. So, only July 4th, the first cut was made. Kevin and I put Calia to bed together that night. As per usual, Calia made it through books, then as she was headed for her crib, pointed to her mouth and asked for Mick. So, we gave her the Mick and she put it in her mouth. She promptly removed it and put it back in, then removed it again and said "Mick?" She then put her finger down into the hole and shrugged her shoulders, put it back in her mouth and went to bed. HUH? Wasn't she supposed to refuse it?? Kev and I, after laughing hysterically at her reaction, were baffled.

Night by night we have trimmed Mick up and there is barely a nub left, yet Calia still wants it and now she holds it in her mouth to keep it in. Last night, Kevin put her down and she didn't ask for it. She was talking in her crib for about a half hour before I heard her cry out "MICK". Crap! I let her whine for 30 minutes then went in and explained Mick was gone. I was told "no, fine it" So, I left and let her cry for another 15 minutes, I went back into her room and we had the exact same conversation. Finally after 1 hour, I had Kevin go in, same conversation..."fine it" 15 mintues later, we gave up and gave her the nub Mick. Happily, she held it in her mouth, laid down and went to bed. When we checked in on her before we went to bed, we had to laugh, she fell asleep with ther hand holding that darn thing in.

After tomorrow's trim, there will be nothing much left except for the plastic. Poor Calia, losing her first best friend Mr. Mick Binks, or McBink. RIP MICK, and Rest quietly Calia.

Then...
And now.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Think this would work for a thumb sucker? ;-)

Sorry for your loss Calia.